Sign my Guestbook!

Monday, July 23, 2007

Update on the knitting. . .

I really love this jigsaw sock pattern. This pattern says it's a size small, and since I can't remember the last time I wore small anything, I've decided to give them to my daughter. She has been begging for them since she got home from camp on Saturday. Maybe I'll just tuck them away and make her wait for them until Christmas. The yarn I'm using - Panda Cotton, in the color Sable - is beautiful with this pattern. The only drawback with this yarn I've found is that the strands of the yarn can separate so you have to be careful they don't get separated as you are knitting - especially those knit two together stitches. I'll post pictures once I get my kids to help me figure that out.

I also started a knitalong - my first one. It's a mystery KAL. All we know is that it is going to be a dishcloth. I got the pattern for the first 9 rows today. At lunch I bought the yarn (a bright yellow), cast on (50) and knit one row (K1, P1).

It's funny, isn't it, how knitting - or any hobby - can be therapeutic as well as fun. Today my youngest started first grade. Even though I've gone through this twice before with the girls, it still gets to me. I was doing fine until he was lined up, ready to go into his classroom. The teacher had them put their lunches away, and I realized he could do this all by himself. He didn't need his Mommy's help. He was going to be gone all day long. No more Mother and son time before the girls got home from school. I certainly won't get goodbye kisses anymore from him at school, and I'll be lucky to get him to hold my hand these days. My baby is growing up. I so wanted to go home and curl up on the couch with my knitting (and Kleenex). But today is a work day, so off to work I went. I did go to the yarn store and scrapbook store today, so I got in some shopping therapy.

I'm getting ready for my scrapbook retreat coming up in a couple of weeks. This year we are going to Tahoe. I can't wait. We look forward to this every year. My friend has some friends who have a house in Tahoe and they are letting us use the house for our retreat. In the past we have stayed at condos, so this will be roomier than previous places. I cannot wait, even though I am not even ready. I still need to plan my layouts, order pictures and pack.

This week I plan to work on my socks and dishcloth, pack for the retreat and order/organize photos. This weekend we will be driving to Tahoe to drop our daughter off at band camp. I also want to buy the new Harry Potter book, but I still need to finish Book 6. Our Crickhollow book meeting is scheduled for this Friday, of which I haven't even started to read the book yet. This month's book is by Patricia McKillip - Moon Solstice, or something like that. I have the book on hold at the library. Until later !

No comments: