Sign my Guestbook!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

TVP - What is it?

TVP stands for textured vegetable protein. Here is the Definition: Texture vegetable protein, TVP for short, is a high-fiber, high-protein meat substitute made from soy flour and available in a variety of flavored and unflavored varieties, as well as different sizes, from large chunks to small flakes. Because it is a dehydrated product, TVP needs to be reconstituted in hot water for about ten minutes or in the cooking process before eaten.

I had never heard of TVP until a few years ago when I took cooking classes through my church. I got excited about it, because it could replace ground beef/turkey/chicken in some recipes, but I never really played or cooked with it except in soups. I went grocery shopping yesterday and found TVP in the bulk section of the store and bought some, and used it for last night's dinner. Here is the recipe I used:



SPICY BEEF WITH NOODLES

2 lb. ground beef (I used half ground turkey and 1 cup tvp)
2 T salad oil (I used 1 T)
1 c. chopped onion (I omitted)
1/2 c. minced green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. canned tomatoes, drained (I used one)
1 c. whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 c. tomato paste
2 tsp. sald (I used about 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. allspice (this gives it a unique flavor)
3/4 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 c. pitted black olives, sliced
1 lb. pkg. noodles

Put oil in heavy skillet and saute onion, green pepper and garlic until tender. Add beef and brown slowly (I added the TVP after the ground turkey was cooked). Add tomatoes, corn, and tomato paste to mixture. Season with sale, pepper, oregano and allspice. Simmer about 2 minutes. Stir in olives and cheddar cheese. Cook noodles according to pkg. directions. Place noodles on large heated platter and spoon mixture over all. 6-8 servings.

I used one cup of the TVP and had quite a big left over. My kids didn't even ask what I cooked - they just assumed it was hamburger! And at 1.68 per pound of this stuff, I'm thinking I'll be adding more to my recipes and keep my food budget down.

Do you have any good tvp recipes? If so, comment away and share!




No comments: